June 22, 2005
I've never really found the idiot savant character to be believable, but every now and again something comes down the pike that demonstrates there might be something in it after all. Witness this post by Lawren K. about Paris Hilton's dog biting an NBC producer when Kathy Hilton, Paris' mom, decided to bring it along to a Today Show interview:
Mama Hilton decided to bring tiny Chihuahua Tinkerbell to the "Today" Show's Rockefeller studio because "Paris didn't come - she's in Los Angeles," our source explained. "Kathy knows everyone just wants to hear about or be with Paris, so since Paris couldn't be there, she thought Tink was almost as good."
(Emphasis added.) Mrs. H, I believe you're on to something. Although I think you underestimate the smaller dog - it, at least, is guaranteed not to make a fool of itself and you can simply toss it into a shoebox when not in use.
UPDATE: Oh, why not.....
TOP TEN ADVANTAGES OF HAVING TINK THE CHIHUAHUA ON THE "TODAY" SHOW INSTEAD OF PARIS HILTON
10. No drooling.
9. Tink's inside dirt on that Taco Bell dog a sure-fire ratings booster.
8. Less fear of paralyzing guest through use of multi-syllabic words.
7. Tink not as likely to try and hump Matt Lauer on air.
6. No need for producers to receive painful series of rabies shots.
5. Paris always confusing lipstick with "Snausages".
4. If Tink bites Roker's ass, it's cute: If Paris does, it's a big FCC fine.
3. Tink usually not drunk before 3:00 PM.
2. Likely to get far more insightful answer to question on the morality of embryonic stem-cell research than, "That's hot."
1. Licking self confined to commercial breaks.